Monday, November 4, 2013

Race A Speedboat

Race a Speedboat
Can you make a paper boat race across the water just by gently touching the surface of the water with dishwashing liquid.
Hypothesis
I think that the washing liquid will make the speed boat go fast, because of the bubbles behind the boat pushing it along.



Materials
Coloured card, washing up liquid, pencil or sharpie, scissors, large container of water.

Method
First I cut out a boat out of colour paper, then I place the boat on top of the water, then I dropped a little blob of dishwashing liquid behind the boat, then the boat sailed away across the water.  




Observation
When I placed the boat on the water and dropped a little bit of dishwashing liquid behind the boat sailed really fast.



Conclusion
I think that the dishwashing liquid and the paper do not go together so they push away from each other.




Short Experiment to Follow Up
Make Metal Float
Gently place a paperclip on the water’s surface.

Hypothesis
I think the paper clip will sink because it is metal so it will weigh it down a little bit causing it to fall, also because the paper clip has holes in it and the paper does not.



Observation
When Bree places the paper clip on top of the water it sunk straight away.



Conclusion (Why I think it happened)
I think it happened because Bree was holding the paper clip on the bottom, so it wouldn't drop down.
Wow look how fast they are going!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...